PHILLIP ISLAND GP CIRCUIT
PHILLIP ISLAND VIC
FRIDAY, 20 APRIL 2018
SUNDAY, 22 APRIL 2018
CIRCUIT LENGTH - 4.446 KILOMETRES
CIRCUIT DIRECTION - ANTI-CLOCKWISE
AVERAGE SPEED - 174 KM/PH
MAXIMUM SPEED - 290 KM/PH
FASTEST POINT - GARDNER STRAIGHT
SLOWEST POINT - T10
The first races on Phillip Island took place in 1926 with the first Australian Grand Prix, known as the 100 Mile Race. It used, as was traditional at the time, a high speed rectangle of local closed-off public roads. The course length varied, with the car course approximately 6 miles per lap, to motorcycle racing of approximately 10 miles.
As speeds grew, there was a need for a safe circuit. The original Phillip Island road circuit, based around the airfield, was a dusty trek up and down hills and through tough tight corners. It survived from the late 1920's to 1935.
In 1951, local businessmen decided to build a new track. This is around 2Km from the original circuit, but still bears the corner name signs of the original circuit. As the piece of available land was on the edge of the coast, the track is known for its step grades - the highest 57 metres, which caused cost over runs and delays in track opening. The track hosted its first race in 1956, but due to extensive damage from the 1962 Armstrong 500, the circuit could not afford repairs, and the race moves to Bathurst.
The circuit reopened in 1966, but again due to its testing terrain, the circuit required much maintenance, and slowly declined through the 1970's. It was farmed by its owners while closed, and was then sold in 1985 in preparation for reopening, but did not do so until 1989 after agreement on a long term lease and rebuild agreement. It hosted its first World Superbike race in 1990.
In 2007, Phillip Island hosts the grand finale of the V8 Supercars Championship Series, as well as a regular MotoGP and Superbike round.
There is to be a multi-million dollar re-development is planned to be started in late 2006. This will be completed by the Linfox Group, who now own the track.