The elimination style qualifying sessions are back on the agenda for this weekends’ Perth SuperSprint event at Barbagallo Raceway. The three 10 minute back-to-back qualifying sessions that see the fastest progress through were a hit with drivers and fans alike.
HOW IT WORKS –
Qualifying 1 – The drivers that finished 11th to 26th in the applicable practice standings hit the track for 10 minutes. From that group of 16, the fastest six progress to Qualifying 2, while the others will positions 17th to 26th.
Qualifying 2 – The top 10 drivers from practice join the action, with the fastest six from Qualifying 1. From the times set in this ten-minute segment, the top 10 progress to Qualifying 3, while the others will positions 11th to 16th.
Qualifying 3 – The top 10 drivers from Qualifying 2 fight it out for Pole Position, setting the first five rows of the grid in the process.
This format provides a new challenge to the teams, and with the top ten from practice automatically going through to the second session, drivers are more eager than ever to put a good time on the board!
All sessions will be LIVE on FOX Sports across the weekend, with highlights packages on Channel Ten/One HD. Check your local guides for times.
*All listed in AWDT times
Friday 4th May
11:05–11:50 – Practice One
14:40-15:25 – Practice Two
Saturday 5th May
10:00-10:20 – Practice Three
11:55-12:05 – Qualifying Part One
12:10-12:20 – Qualifying Part Two
12:25-12:35 – Qualifying Part Three
14:45-15:45 – Race 11 – 120kms/50 Laps
Sunday 6th May
9:15–9:35 – Practice Four
11:20-11:30 – Qualifying Part One
11:35-11:45 – Qualifying Part Two
11:50-12:00 – Qualifying Part Three
14:15-15:45 – Race 12 – 200kms/83 Laps
- Track Length – 2.42km // Direction – Clockwise // Fastest Speed – 252km/h // Average Speed – 157km/h
- Qualifying Lap Record – 54.5730S, Scott McLaughlin, DJRTP, 2017, Falcon FG X, Dunlop Super Soft Tyre
- Race Lap Record – 55.9440s, Jason Bright, PWR Racing, 2004, Holden Commodore VY, Dunlop Control Tyre
- The lowest grid position for a ATCC/VASC race winner in Perth is 12th, however no driver has ever won an ATCC/VASC race at Barbagallo from 8th or 9th on the grid
- Barbagallo is the site of BJR”s first ever Supercars Championship win, in 2011 with Jason Bright behind the wheel
- Nick set the fastest lap in the Saturday race here last year, and had a top ten finish on the Sunday.
- The Brad Jones Racing team have visited the podium 8 times here over the years, the last time was in 2015.
- Of the 48 VASC races held at Barbagallo since 2000, the Safety Car has appeared in 23 of them
- Nick has a 100% finishing rate here at Barbagallo, crossing the line 10 out of 10 races. The 100% finishing rate also applies to stable-mates Tim Slade (23/23) and Tim Blanchard (10/10)
- The biggest pole winning margin here is 0.45s, Mark Skaife to Glen Seton in 1994!
Thursday 3rd May
13:00-14:00 – Supercars Autograph Session, Forrest Place, Perth CBD
Friday 4th May
13:10-13:40 – Autograph Session @ Merchandise Alley